International Women’s Day: online conference open to all
International Women’s Day, Monday 8th March, table tennis will be at the forefront; experts will discuss live the current status of gender equality and how to use the sport as a tool for female empowerment.
The online conference is open to all and includes an open question and answer session.
Gender equality has been on the ITTF agenda since 2003 (1st Women’s Forum), it is time to exchange ideas with wide ranging experts in the field and open the discussion to all. Within the world of sport, gender equality is still far from being achieved; table tennis is not the exception to the rule.
Nevertheless, progress has been made in recent years. Significantly, the establishment of equal prize money for female and male players at ITTF and WTT hosted events, a female CEO between 2011 and 2017, a gender module within an online administration course, and several actions taken by the High Performance and Development Department as good examples.
What to expect?
Ms Hajera Kajee, in her position of the ITTF Gender Commissioner since 2013, will open the conference.
UN International Gender Champion and IOC Women in Sports Commission member Mr Ingmar De Vos will start the conversation with his colleague from the International Paralympic Committee, Ms Rita van Driel, IPC Women in Sport Committee Chair and Agitos Foundation President.
Ms Petra Sörling, the only female ITTF EC Vice President and ITTF Foundation’s Board of Trustees Chair will contribute with insights from ITTF, while two Olympians make the round complete. Nigerian Funke Oshonaike, six times Olympian is committed to promote gender equality through table tennis and helps the ones in need within her home country through her Foundation. Also, Peruvian Mónica Liyau established her own Foundation using table tennis as a tool to reduce inequality for children in extreme poverty.
March 2021 is women’s month
Countdown for the next World Table Tennis Day on April 6 has begun; this year’s edition puts girls and women in the spotlight. The so called motto of #FEMpowerment invites table tennis lovers to celebrate and strengthen the female participation in table tennis.
Be part of the journey:
- 3 March: 14hs00 CET: Online seminar #FEMpowering the Table Tennis family” Register here
- 8 March: 12hs00 CET: Global workshop “Girls & Women in Sport for All” (in co-operation with TAFISA) Join here
- 8 March 15hs00 CET: Online Conference “Gender equality and female empowerment in table tennis” Register here
- 8 March: 16hs00 CET: Weekly Training Lesson “Masters of Skill”, Special episode for International Women’s Day 2021
Follow #FEMpowerment #InspirationalWomen and #FEMCampaign at @ITTFFoundation and @ITTFWorld:
- Share your FEMpose photo making a strong pose with the hashtags #FEMpowerment and #WorldTableTennisDay
- Get inspired by powerful table tennis women through articles, quotes and pictures
- Stay tuned for a virtual interview series of outstanding women in table tennis which will be released every Friday of the week, following different theme
And last but not least:
Start organising your event for 2021 #WorldTableTennisDay if you haven’t done so.
Don’t forget to bring a female friend to table tennis in the coming weeks!